Here are several scripture references for you to personally study and ponder on how the gift of agency works in our lives. Pray for the Holy Ghost to testify to you that these scriptures are true.
- Our mortal life is a period of testing to see how we will use our agency. (see Abraham 3:25)
- There must be "opposition in all things" so that we can see the differences between good and evil. This gives us the opportunity to choose. (see 2 Nephi 2:11-16, Doctrine & Covenants 29:39)
- Our Heavenly Father gave each of us the Light of Christ so that we may know good from evil. (see Moroni 7:12-17)
- When we choose our course of action, whether good or bad, we also choose consequences attached to our actions. (see Deuteronomy 11:26-28, 30:15-20; Galatians 6:7; Revelation 22:12)
- Because "[we] are permitted to act for [ourselves]," we are responsible for our actions. (see Helaman 14:30-31).
- When we choose to obey God's commandments, our options increase, and we have more freedom. (see 2 Nephi 2:27; Doctrine & Covenants 58:26-28, 93:20)
- When we choose to disobey God's commandments, our options decrease, and we may become captive to wickedness (see 2 Nephi 2:29; John 8:34)
- Our Heavenly Father "will not suffer [us] to be tempted above that [we] are able; but will...make a way to escape," provided we choose to resist the temptation. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
- We must humble ourselves and "pray continually" so that we can resist temptation. (see Alma 3:28)