Wednesday, June 20, 2012

All Things in Wisdom and Order & SAST Link Up Party

Announcing my very first SAST Link Up Party!!

SAST button

But first....


"And see that all things are done in wisdom and order, for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."
– Mosiah 4:27
I take great comfort in this verse. I struggle, like most women, moms, and wives, with doing everything that is required of me on a daily basis. Having four kids out of school for the summer, it takes a lot of creativity on my part to teach, entertain, and redirect them nonstop. Left to their own devices, the kids would be staring at computer screens for the rest of their lives, so I have to frequently intervene and redirect them to something a little more constructive. I am also trying to keep the house in order and be consistent with my weekly housekeeping schedule. Of course, that is a lot harder with four extra bodies making messes all over the house, and diverting more time to them instead of my chores.

"It is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength."


I try to be very honest with myself and my abilities. I am so NOT Wonder Woman. I have limits! I need naps. Daily. I need caffeine. Every morning. I need a little time in the afternoon to veg with whatever book I'm currently reading. I try to get up before the kids so I can read my scriptures by myself, and have a few minutes to ponder on things of eternal worth.

All of this keeps Mommy sane and happy. And a happy Mommy makes a happy home.

Be wise and honest about your abilities and limits. I do feel that God gave us limits, as well as our talents, because He wants us to grow in wisdom and grace. He wants us to come to Him. He will teach us how to work within our limits and excel at the same time. He knows how it is done. Come unto Him, and win the prize of eternal life.

With love,
Jean

9 comments:

  1. I've been using the book Common Prayer for my daily Bible study as well as focus on one chapter from Proverbs each week. This week I was struck by Prov. 2:20-22 --
    So—join the company of good men and women,
    keep your feet on the tried-and-true paths.
    It's the men who walk straight who will settle this land,
    the women with integrity who will last here.
    The corrupt will lose their lives;
    the dishonest will be gone for good.
    (The Message).
    Women with integrity will last -- I want to be a woman of integrity.

    Blessings!
    Melanie at http://musingsandmeanderings-mlp.blogspot.com/2012/06/thankful-thursday-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how old your kiddos are but summer was always a good time to get them in the habit of doing their chores, then when school started it was a no brainer. Simple chores but even the smallest can walk around and pick up toys. It's a good thing to know you aren't wonder women. I had to teach my dear hubby, "you did not marry wonder woman!" Ha! Enjoy your summer :)

    http://theemptynestexpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with working within my limits. Seems like I always make my to do list longer than I could possibly accomplish, then I feel unproductive at the end of the day no matter how much I did do. I didn't do it all. Thanks for the reminder to be realistic about what I can do and not compromise those things I need--a nap and some time to read!!

    MB
    newlifesteward.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jean for the invite! Sorry if I came late to the party...I'm new to the blogging party scene! :) You've got a wonderful blog!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to think your wonder woman and realize your not. I'm learning this last month that it's not about lists but about Him. Praying that God guides you this summer with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way as you when my kids were little. I did not want them playing on the computer or watching t.v. all day either.

    So we had to set limits and they played outside a lot and played board games or had play dates with friends. But is does taking planning, doesn't it?

    I found that if we didn't have some guidelines in place (like a limited media/electronic time), then it would be so easy for me to just get lazy and let them watch t.v. or play on the computer.

    It does take some "mom" planning and monitoring and redirecting as you said, but it's definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! We do have limits, and we must be careful not to push them! Thank you for sharing your link up at Simply Helping Him :) I am adding it to my list! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually clean a friend's house three times a week (for pay). It's a great way to make money.

      Once I knew what she wanted cleaned each week I made up a schedule to make MY job easier, and I do it the same way every week.

      That way I don't have to stand around and try and figure out what to do. I already have a plan.

      For example, I clean bathrooms, entry and laundry room on Monday. I also dust and vacuum her craft room.

      I only clean 1.5 hours a day for three days a week because I am also taking care of her developmentally disabled daughter after school. I have to listen for her school bus which is why I throw in the craft room when I'm doing bathrooms, since I'm already upstairs in that part of the house.

      The other school days I don't clean.

      Delete